Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Diamonds and Harleys






Like I really needed another piece of jewelry. But I don't need 30 leather jackets either. I don't actually have 30, I think Angie will always have me beat on sheer numbers for leather clothing. But I bet I'm coming close to her when it coems to leather vests. I have about 10 now. Oh yeah right, like she only has 10. She did sell quite a bit of her stuff on ebay but I bet she she still has a shitload of leather clothing. You know us biker babes, we gots to have the leather. Ah but the trick with leather is you have to stay the same size or else you're SOL.
Anyhow I have always loved the 4 stone diamond ring my best friend MaryAnn had. When I heard she was gonna pawn her jewelry I said "Send that ring!" So yesterday I sent her a check. She's sending the ring. Hopefully I'll get it today and after so many years, it will be mine. It's not like I'm drowning in cash or anything close to it. But it will be like having a piece of her with me always.
So there I'll be sitting on my chopper. Looking at my hand on the throttle control wearing two diamond rings, liking what I see. The statement my hands make. That a women can be hard and elegant at the same time, just cos a woman rides a bike doesn't mean she doesn't have classic style. My existing ring has a great story to it, one that is a real biker story of almost kicked asses. But that's for another post. This one is about my hands. Hands that have split wood, climbed mts, frozen while washing airplanes, done tons of bodywork, and sanded miles of motorcycle sheetmetal. These old hands have worked pretty hard for the past 45 years. In fact, a guy once broke up with me citing my hands as being a big turnoff. "Your fingernails are disgusting!"
Then I met this crazy blonde woman who rode a hit pink sportster. Her hands looked sexy as hell with her nails just long enough and perfectly polished with simple classic rings, not chunky stones on each finger.
So now 22 years after Derek made that cruel observation, my hands have perfectly polished nails that are a sexy length and I wear simple but elegant diamond rings. Too bad the hands themselves are so beat up. But those lines tell a story, a story of a life lived full and hard. Funny at age 45 I'm finally starting to like myself as I find my own style.
You all can see my current ring in the right photo on my fat finger. Men are nuts over what they percieve as their fat necks, women - it's fat fingers.
Oh the "Got Dumped" photo? That's Angie. Back when she went out with the loser George. She's now married to a non loser.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home