Saturday, March 25, 2006

Not much fun here


The reason you all haven't heard much from us is work. Sara is busy as hell at her shop in Pittsburgh. She's doing a bike for a Pittsburgh Steeler. And other projects are piling up. Same here only the big project for the past 2 weeks has been a bike for the Kyle Petty Ride Across America. This ultra will be auctioned off to benefit the Victory Junction Gang camp. More in the weeks to come.

My car painting book will be released very soon. Wow I'm in fine writing form this morning. It has been a rough week. Gotta a phone call from some tv show. They were interested in having a segment in their show about bike painters. It was odd, as the name of their show was the same as another biker tv show. Turns out this show has nothing to do with the "original" one. I get the call after a very frustrating day when I found out that the paint mask material I was using for a project was less than satisfactory and had to desperately make other arrangements. These things only happen on a Friday just before everything closes for the weekend. I was lucky it happened on Thursday when I could get what I needed overnighted.
So I'm talking on the phone with this person, thinking he's associated with this other, established show. He's asking the kind of questions and making the kind of statements that people make, who ARE NOT familar with the custom bike world.
Needless to say I did not give them what they wanted. They wanted flash. They wanted to hear about how I hang out with biker celebrities and have a flashly shop with painted flames covering the building and chrome covered choppers sitting outside and Snoop Dog hanging around inside.

That is so not me. You would never know from going by my place that a motorcycle has even gone down my driveway, let alone the 4 choppers (3 of which have been featured in magaines, 1 being on the cover of Easyriders) that currently reside in my shop. Plus the two complete chopped frames and parts, that await custom paint, the 2 very radical choppers that are in the paint process or the assortment of killer equipment that services these works of art.
No one comes by. Neighbors have no idea. Today is Saturday. I'll be working and I wont be interupted by people coming by. I'll be able to concentrate on my work and put my full attention into the project at hand.
I'll go away for weeks at a time. My place is fully alarmed, bars on the windows, serious locks. Security cams. I still worry. There are times when there are extremely big bucks sitting in my shop.
If they want flash, they can go to my husband's shop. It's all gleeming chrome, bright neon, polished floors, and hundreds of thousands of $$ of custom bikes.

Actually I think its way cooler to have a shop that doesn't look like a shop. I don't need a big picture window, stylish showroom and work area and the large overhead thatcomes with it, to be a bike painter that continuely puts out work that gets featured in magazines like this month's American Iron or win's bikes shows like the Best of Show I got this year or gets books published. I'll put my time and money into creating killer paint work.
Well gotta go, Snoop is stopping by later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good to stand up for a good cause when you have the means to help.Riding is adventurous and the thrill is transferred in the blog here.

altec bucket trucks

10:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This site is very amazing and information, I like this information given and it has given me some sort of commitment......

Ship Asbestos

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home